Friday, June 18, 2010

Portugal the Man

First off...Have you seen this cover art? I love it! A big green sea
monster hefting baby in front of a barn. Moving on to the tunes. There
a couple bands that make excellent life soundtracks, and I believe
that Portugal The Man is one of those bands. Their music isn't all
engrossing, attention dominating, or body controlling. I've heard
people say that catchy tunes make them want to get up and dance. Not
the case here. PTM won't make you want to dance. But doing just about
anything will make you want to listen to PTM. I listened to them while
cooking, driving, eating, working, painting, and every experience was
enhanced by the rhythmic, complex beats of songs like Dead Dog and All
My People. There are two specific things this band does that I love.
First is the mixture of electronica and distorted, tangible
Instruments. The healthy dose of the latter separates them from
similar psych rock bands like MGMT. 2nd is the sometimes near-
falsetto, always awesome singing voice of frontman John Gourley. I've
always thought it takes a unique aspect like that to separate a band
from the masses.

SO! In short...PORTUGAL THE MAN. Hard to dance to, A little hard to
sing to, but amazing to chill to. Try mixing them in with your daily
routine and witness as your routine suddenly becomes twice as cool.
Concert going down the 23rd. I'm stoked and you'll hear about it later.

No comments:

Post a Comment